Monday, December 26, 2011

BIg & Small Roofs

My sweeties Christmas morning :)

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! We certainly did, I feel very blessed that our little family is loved so dearly by so many that we just don't have enough time to spend with everyone! Today was spent opening any gifts that hadn't already been ripped out of their boxes and packaging the last two days, Daddy putting everything together, and Mommy trying to get the house back in some type of order after Santa did his damage :) I'm convinced if you have young children you need the day after Christmas off just for this task!

Last night after we had gotten home from our third destination of the day and everyone was asleep but me I decided to watch "The Bishop's Wife".


A little background here - I grew up on older movies/music. Elvis..Bing Crosby...Gene Kelly...Jimmy Stewart...Those are just the names that quickly come to mind but suffice it to say I enjoy myself a good black and white movie and some "oldies" on the radio :)

I had never seen The Bishop's Wife. You may recognize it's remake's name - The Preacher's Wife. My wonderful Mama had recommended I add this to my DVR schedule and so I did just that because you just don't question your Mama's movie recommendations :) And I'm glad I did! It was a great movie to officially "end" my Christmas with. To summarize, the Bishop is fundraising to build a large cathedral. He is having trouble doing so, and he and his wife are growing apart. He prays for guidance and an Angel is sent to help him and his wife. It had a lot of good "one-liners" that stick with you after the movie has ended.

Probably my favorite was when Dudley, the Angel, said to the Bishop concerning the incredibly large cathedral he was trying to build "That big roof could build a lot of little roofs". This really struck me, as are a lot of things concerning money these days. I am preparing to go on a mission trip next summer to Africa. I know I will see such different living conditions than what we have in the States. As I learn about so many who have so little near and far, I have really started to question what is "necessary". In a season of extravagance, abundance, over-indulging - many have none.

We all have "big roofs" in our lives we are trying to build, don't we? We want the new car or bigger house, a closet full of the latest styles, exotic vacations, the list could go on and my "big roof" may be something different than yours. Those things themselves aren't inherently evil or wrong to desire. But what are they replacing or keeping us from being able to do for others? What are the many "little roofs" that are getting swept to the side in our effort to obtain more and more for ourselves?

As I have become aware of suffering both near and far, a verse has really gotten in my heart and come to mind often.  "...once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act." Proverbs 24:12.
Jesus spent much of his time amongst people most in society would say weren't worth his time. And he wasn't a Santa figure handing out gifts to the needy that would help them get through that day, or month, or year. He was handing out salvation - the greatest gift of all. An eternal gift that will last much much longer and has much more significance than any roof we are trying to build here on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment